Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year! -Caribbean Crockpot Pork


Happy New Year everyone.  Hope your New Year’s Eve was full of fun.  With the family being sick, I enjoyed the AMC Walking Dead marathon. Never thought I would like a show about Zombies, but I must say I love it.  I decided I needed to start the year off right with my new dinner. 
 
 
My Dad always says never at chicken on New Year's Day, because if you do you will be scratching for money all year.  Rather eat pork so you can root in money all year long.  I thought they were old wives tales, not old Dad's tales.  So tonight it was Caribbean Crockpot Pork.

 
While this is a quick recipe to prepare it has about a 6 to 8 hours cook time, due to being in the crockpot. 

Ingredients:

·            2 Tbsp. brown sugar

·            1 Tbsp. curry powder

·            1 tsp. cumin

·            1/2 tsp. salt

·            1/8 tsp. pepper

·            1 (2.5 lb.) boneless pork loin roast

·            2 onions, chopped

·            1/2 cup apple juice

 

First make a rub with the dry ingredients and rub it into the pork.  Place the pork over the chopped onions in the crock pot, then add the apple juice.  I cooked it for about 6 – 7 hours on high.  After 3 hours the aroma began to fill the house.  I would probably increase the brown sugar to give it a bit more sweetness, and perhaps add a little more curry as I like it spicy.  After cooking I made a gravy with the broth by adding some corn starch.  I served it over white rice with the onions and some yellow squash I had sautéed up.

 
Overall I really liked this recipe.  The pork came out tender and with a good taste.  The gravy was nice over the rice.  The source of this was the Safeway Recipe Center, find the complete recipe HERE.

Until next week - COOK ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment